Thursday, June 9, 2011

A robot that can make robot parts...
and other stuff

I saw this on the Colbert Report last night (thanks Stephen) and I have to (*have to*) have one! I can not believe I have not seen this in my news feeds yet. Every robot building shop needs one of these.

What am I ranting about? The Maker Bot Thing-O-Matic! [http://www.makerbot.com/]

This thing is tres cool, mon ami. Of course it makes other stuff too, but the first thing I imagined when I saw this on Colbert was custom gears sets, then the elusive artificial Phalanges I have been wanting to mould, then my mind went crazy with possibilities.

If you are a gear-head (robot builder/hacker) then you have probably come across the situation where the gear set on the motor in your hand is not the one you need. The search begins to find a replacement gear that will give you the reduction you need, but hours of driving between scrap yards and surplus stores yields nothing. Now, you can just make one.

In fact, you can make just about anything. Gears, hinges, struts, eyelids, shields, faceplates, actuators, fingertips, grippers, spacers, levers, buttons, bumpers, and more.

The alternative has been the CNC milling machine where you can cut the shape you need out of a block of material. There are desktop varieties like this one but they are expensive and can waste a lot of material. The Maker Bot Thing-O-Matic creates an object from scratch using hard plastic thread feed. This is the same plastic used to make Lego and when was the last time you broke one of those?

For $1300 USD, this is a must-have for any custom developer / bot-hacker / gear-head shop.


Be awesome. Change the world.

3 comments:

The Evil System Administrator said...

I remember seeing the turnkey one from HP (http://h10088.www1.hp.com/cda/gap/display/main/index.jsp?zn=gap&cp=20000-13698-16013-15259-27018^304024_4041_0__&jumpid=ex_R10931_go/designjet3D) and thinking "I can get any missing Lego piece I need on-demand!

me said...

The HP 3D printers are cool, but pricey ($17,000 ish) and are more like a CNC mill where they extrude ABS slabs.

Being able to fabricate any missing Lego piece may be worth the $1300 by itself!

me said...

One fine example of why this is cool...
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8460